MILITARY THEORY AND ART
Within this section, the objective is to emphasise the complex interaction between theory and practice in the military field by referring to the main concepts and technologies that have led to the evolution of military strategy throughout time. The focus will be on the current technological revolution and on adapting military actions in the context of the emergence and development of the COVID-19 pandemic and the conflict in Ukraine.
- Tactical lessons learned from the conflict in Ukraine;
- Electronic warfare;
- Deterrence and defence at NATO’s Eastern Flank – the role of armed forces – perspectives and solutions;
- Applied military psychology;
- The influence of joint and multi-domain operations on implementing strategic concepts;
- The perspective of modern warfare and modern armed fight in the circumstances of the security environment of the 21st century;
- New approaches to the military leadership at the strategic and operational level, an instrumental factor in the success of military actions;
- The impact of emerging and disruptive technologies on future military actions;
- The fundamentals of military strategy in the case of small and medium powers.
INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY
The relation between intelligence and the concept of (national and international) security is meant to explain and promote common defence policies, resulting from the decisions adopted not only during the NATO Summits of the past decade but also at the European Union level. A new arms race, asymmetrical threats, cybersecurity or the impact of artificial intelligence on security are only a few of the aspects that have resulted in reviewing the priorities of international actors in the field of security and defence. The conflict in Ukraine is the most recent challenge to the security environment, and the scale of the crisis will undoubtedly trigger significant effects on security at the global level. How the great actors will manage the effects of the crisis is a question to be answered. A debate in this regard may bring clarifications and also propose other subjects for analysis that are less visible or more difficult to anticipate.
Also, in the context of a new NATO strategic concept being adopted and in relation to the National Security Strategy of Romania and the White Paper on Defense, a debate on the main aspects promoted in the mentioned documents will lead to a better understanding of the security risks to which our country is exposed.
- Strategic lessons learned from the conflict in Ukraine;
- The Euro-Atlantic deterrence and defence concept;
- The EU Common Security and Defence Policy;
- Resilience and technological security in the Wider Black Sea Region;
- Actionable intelligence in the dynamics of the transformational geopolitical challenges in the Black Sea;
- Emergent and disruptive technologies application in planning military operations in cyberspace;
- National security policy as a field of public policies;
- Conflict management and crisis management. Reactive management of conflicts in Eastern Europe between 1990 and 2020;
- Deterrence policy in the 21st century: from theory to practice;
- Influence of operations in cyberspace. The superiority in the electromagnetic space;
- The Military Strategy within Romania's National Security Strategy for 2020-2024;
- The international security environment and middle-term evolutions. The evolution of the security environment in the Black Sea region;
- A possible NATO strategy: from the Atlantic to the global level, the role of the European Union.
DEFENCE RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
The pace of change as well as of the transformation entailed by the new revolution in military affairs has quickened lately, especially after the attacks on 11 September 2001. Although the essence of war has remained unchanged, the forms and procedures of military action, armed combat included, have evolved, depending on the features of the strategic security environment as well as on the forces, means, weapon systems, policies and strategies. The COVID-19 pandemic and the conflict in Ukraine have impacted the conduct of military actions, having profound implications for resources management, education, and military actions organisation.
- The economic domain and its impact on the global evolution of power and defence strategy:
- Defence capability development and defence resources management in the current security environment;
- The role of the defence industry in the security equation;
- Military education: from organisational culture to strategic leadership;
- Military mobility;
- Public assets and public policies in the security field;
- Research-development and innovation activity management;
- The economy-military strategy relationship;
- The support to public authorities in crisis situations management.